Saturday, March 18, 2006

New thoughts

Didn’t write yesterday because I got this crazy terrible headache. Never got a migraine before but I think this pain qualified. I got up in the morning and instantly regretted it. Finally passed by evening but I never did feel like stringing words together to create sentences.
I’ve been thinking about taking on more controversial subjects in my essays but I worry about two things. One is sounding like a just another opinionated jerk cramming his opinions down the throat of a public that is already over saturated with opinion articles. The other problem I have is simply the technical difficulty in expressing my sometimes complex justifications of my point of view. If I take on the issue of abortion I feel like I have to start by reviewing the whole history of reproductive behavior going back to the ancient Greek practice of leaving baby girls in jars on hilltops. By the time I’ve gotten to my point, you the reader has made an assumption of what my point is going to be, got so turned around by my long winded justifying that you forgot what the subject was or you’ve gotten board and have moved on to the next article. This is the John Kerry dilemma from the 2004 campaign. Ideas that take some explanation and exploration do not translate well into the red state blue state mindset of today’s public discourse. So whether you are from the state of red or the state of blue might I ask you to take a deep breath and follow me into an exploration of subjects that we are likely to pass over at the water cooler.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home